Wroclaw Medical University
Uniwersytet Medyczny im. Piastów Śląskich we Wrocławiu
address: Pasteura 1 St.
50-368 Wrocław, Poland
phone: + 48 71 784 10 01
fax: +48 71 784 01 09
Wroclaw Medical University is one of the most renowned public medical schools in Poland.
Wroclaw Medical University was established in 1950, consisting of the Faculty of Medicine and the Faculty of Pharmacy. Since then, 16,068 medical doctors and 4,715 dentists have graduated. In 1958, the first open heart surgery in Poland was carried out by prof. Wiktor Bross at the Faculty of Medicine, who also in 1966 performed the first kidney transplant from a living donor. These achievements were significant in European medicine.
Nowadays, the University consists of 5 faculties: Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Health Sciences and Postgraduate Education. The total number of departments and clinics is 164 and, altogether, there are 1090 academic professors and instructors. In the academic year 2016/2017 more than 6000 students commenced or continued their studies. The largest investment of the Wroclaw Medical University is the Clinical Centre, which consists of
9 buildings, with total capacity 475 000 m3, with University Hospital health centers and clinics. More than a dozen clinics, laboratory diagnostic workshops, a modern operating suite and a laboratory diagnostic centre are located there.
Wroclaw Medical University has been a participant of the Erasmus programme ever since the very beginning of its existence in Poland. The University participates in the exchange of students, PhD students and academic staff since the academic year 1998/1999.
Currently, Wroclaw Medical University occupies the leading position in international exchange. The University was granted the Erasmus University Charter and this is the basis for exchange of academic staff and students. Wroclaw Medical University has 39 international agreements of cooperation signed with other universities in countries such as France, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Spain, Netherlands, and England.
The Medical University provides a six-year medicine and a five-year dentistry programme in English. The English Division was established in 2003.
The curriculum is identical with that of Polish Division. The studies are adapted to the common European programme, in keeping with the European admission standards for medical education. Teaching is carried out by a team of highly educated specialists in tutorial groups of 10-12 students in the theoretical subjects and 4-5 students during bedside teaching.
Students of English Division are mainly German, Swedish, Canadian, American and Norwegian citizens. In the 2015/2016 academic year there are 803 students of English Division, including 658 in Faculty of Medicine and 145 in Faculty of Dentistry.
The university has its own campus and offers rooms equipped to the highest standards.
Wroclaw Medical University – this is where good doctors come from!
Facts & figures
- Established in 1950
- 1090 academic staff
- 6000 students
- 803 foreign students
Chalubinskiego 6a, 50-368 Wroclaw, Poland
phone: +48 71 784 17 26, +48 71 784 15 58, fax: +48 71 784 16 76
e-mail: email@example.com www.ed.umed.wroc.pl
Wroclaw Medical University English Division, Faculty of Dentistry:
Krakowska 26, 50-425 Wroclaw, Poland
phone:+48 71 784 06 58, +48 71 784 06 57, fax: +48 71 784 06 56