MSc in Chemical Technology: Clean Fossil and Alternative Fuels Energy
Area of Studies
Degree (in English)
Second-cycle degree programme
3 or 4 semesters
Faculty of Energy and Fuels, AGH University of Science and Technology
Tuition and Other Fees
Contact the Unit
The MSc programme "Clean Fossil and Alternative Fuels Energy" offered by the Faculty of Energy and Fuels AGH University of Science and Technology focuses on the important aspect of energy production – the application of fossil and alternative fuels, among them coal, biomass and shale gas. Coal, although a fossil fuel, is believed to be a good medium term solution for energy production as it is an abundant energy resource, which is available at a fairly stable price and comes from many international suppliers, thus guaranteeing energy security. However, as fossil fuels produce a lot of pollutants, among them CO2, and thus are made responsible for degradation of environment and climatic changes, new and modern technologies are necessary – Clean Fossil and Alternative Fuels Energy. Along these lines new specialists will be educated who do not only understand but may also apply and further develop methods which may use not only coal to produce energy but also other solid fuels, such as biomass, or alternative fuels such as shale gas. Such specialists will have knowledge both in energy technologies and in chemical technologies. The program focuses on energy and chemical aspects, with special stress laid on advanced coal technologies, gasification of coal and biomass, catalytic technologies of fuel processing, environmental protection, etc. Additionally, courses on planning and forecasting in energy systems, energy policy, sustainable energy development, renewable energy and fuel cells etc. are offered.
The standard program lasts 3 semesters, but the students may also apply to study in 4 semester program. The latter program has the above mentioned courses during first two semesters and additionally all students spend the 3rd and 4th semester at a foreign partner university (Portugal). The former program offers Polish M.Sc. diploma in chemical technology, the latter may lead to a double diploma.
In case of the 4-semester program, the curriculum is broadened in year 2 to obtain a “finished” specialist in Clean Fossil and Alternative Fuels Energy, supplemented by the good knowledge in chemical fuels or renewables field (AGH - IST). The inclusion of renewable or chemical fuel-based technologies is extremely important for a solid fuel specialist, because it will allow him/her to take reasonable decisions in the professional life – it will allow to answer the question, if a certain coal, biomassor shale gas-based technology is the appropriate solution or if renewable or chemical-fuel based energy production should be chosen instead, taking into account both political, societal and economic reasons. Furthermore the sustainable development of solid fuel-based technologies has to be integrated in the market together with the renewable and/or chemical fuels solutions and the professional must possess the necessary skills to understand such connection and integration. Undoubtedly, these skills cannot be separated as they are the guarantee of a sustainable technological implementation according to the demands of the 21st century.
More details: http://kic-innoenergy.com/clean-fossil/
Candidates are asked to attach to the e-Rekrutacja system the following documents:
- Scan of the passport page with your photo and personal data.
- Scan of signed Curriculum Vitae.
- Scan of signed cover letter , in which a candidate is obliged to show special predispositions to study at the chosen programme of study.
- Scan of the official certificate confirming your command of the language of instruction (Polish or English) – list of recognised English certificates.
- Scan of the higher education diploma with legalization (or apostille) with annotation (or as a separate document) stating, that the diploma entitles to apply for admission to second-cycle degree programmes at universities of every type in the country in which you received the above mentioned diploma.
- Scan of the official transcript of records with scale of grades included, confirmed by the University.
AGH UST Centre for International Students
Education related issues
DSc Karol Sztekler
A. Mickiewicza Ave. 30
30-059 Krakow, Poland
phone: +48 12 617 50 92
- BSc in Electronics and Telecommunications
- BSc in Mechatronic Engineering
- MSc in Chemical Technology: Clean Fossil and Alternative Fuels Energy
- MSc in Civil Engineering : Geotechnical Engineering and Underground Construction
- MSc in Computer Science: Systems Modelling and Data Analysis
- MSc in Electrical Engineering: Smart Grids Technology Platform
- MSc in Electronics and Telecommunications: Network and Services
- MSc in Geophysics: Applied Geophysics
- MSc in in Computer Aided Engineering Processes: Virtualization of Foundry Engineering
- MSc in Management: International Management
- MSc in Materials Engineering: Advanced Materials – Processing and Characterization
- MSc in Materials Engineering: Functional Materials
- MSc in Materials Engineering: Modern Materials, Design, and Application
- MSc in Mechatronic Engineering: Mechatronics Design
- MSc in Mining and Geology: Economic Geology
- MSc in Mining Geology: Mining Engineering
- MSc in Sociology: Technology and Society