Horticulture Specialization: Horticulture
Area of Studies
Degree (in English)
Faculty of Horticulture Biotechnology and Landscape Architecture, Warsaw University of Life Sciences – SGGW
Tuition and Other Fees
Around 8200 PLN per one academic year
Charges for documents, accommodation in a student dormitory, repetition of classes – in accordance with internal regulations.
Recruitment calendar: https://www.sggw.pl/en/for-candidates/recruitment/recruitment-of-foreigners/recruitment-terms Date of commencement of studies: February/March
Mission of the specialization (major):
The specialization in horticulture has been established to provide students with understanding of biological background in growing horticultural crops and postharvest “life” of vegetables, fruits and ornamental plants. The programme aims also to introduce students to the up-to-date knowledge of environmental-friendly and ecological methods of production of vegetables, fruits and medicinal plants, their storage and postharvest technologies, of using ornamental plants in human environment as well as knowledge of integrated pest management (IPM).
Detailed programme of the studies:
a) Obligatory subjects, offered during three semesters of the studies:
Suistanable horticulture; Molecular biology; Natural and legal basis of landscape and ecological infrastructure protection; Advanced information technologies; Ecotoxicology; Modern technologies in plant production; The microworld of fungi; Insect behaviour – from mechanisms to practical issues; A man in a business; Diploma seminar.
b) Facultative subjects, to be chosen by students during the studies:
Ornamental plants in human environment; Fruits of the world; Breeding methods of fruit plants; Plants in human diet and prevention of civilazation disease; Propagation of ornamental plants; Applied of plant pathology; Integrated pests management; Biological control; Business law; Quality evaluation of plant products; Ecology of microorganisms; Physiological basis of vegetable and medicinal plants production; Plants' mysteries under microscope; Herbal raw materials; Plant functioning under environmental stresses; Medicinal and aromatic plants; Propagation of fruits plants; Seeds production; Breeding methods of ornamental plants; Indoor flowers arrangements.
Students are acquainted with the principles of sustainable horticulture, processes influencing biological value of plant produce. In addition, they gain the skills how to plan and organize production and storage of horticultural crops, as well as how to arrange human environment with ornamental plants. They obtain the diploma: Master of Sciences in Horticulture (Magister inżynier ogrodnictwa).
- diploma of the first-cycle studies (Bachelor's degree or equivalent) in the field of horticulture;
- diploma of related field of the first cycle studies (Bachelor's degree or equivalent), for which the effects of education are convergent with the learning outcomes expected from candidates; if the convergence is incomplete, the student will be obliged to supplement the competence gaps by completing the subjects specified during the interview, in an amount not exceeding 30 ECTS, which is the limit of admissible discrepancy;
- the average grade from first-cycle studies;
02-787 Warsaw, Poland
phone: +48 22 59 310 25
- Civil Engineering, Specialization: Engineering Infrastructure
- Environmental Protection Specialization: Restoration and Management of Environment
- Food Technology and Human Nutrition, Specialization: Organic Food Quality and Marketing, within the ELLS EUR-Organic - European Master in Organic Agriculture and Food Systems)
- Forestry Specialization: Forest Information Technology
- Horticulture Specialization: Horticulture
- Informatics and Econometrics Specialization: Big Data Analytics
- Organic Agriculture and Food Production
- Veterinary Medicine