Master, Theoretical Physics
Area of Studies
Degree (in English)
2 years/4 semesters
University of Wroclaw
Tuition and Other Fees
Tuition non-EU citizens: €3150
Tuition EU citizens: €1500
August 31st, 2022
About the course
The two year master studies in theoretical physics provide a high-level, internationally competitive training in theoretical physics, guiding to frontiers of modern research in the following main areas:
1. Compact stars
2. Classical and quantum gravity. Gravitational waves.
3. Neutrino physics
4. Quantum field theory and QCD, quark-gluon plasma
5. Quantum information and quantum optics.
6. Modern quantum mechanics, entanglement, nonlinear dynamics
7 Supersymmetric quantum mechanics, integrable models.
Comprehensive and up to date introduction to modern theoretical physics is provided in connection to the current research conducted at the Institute of Theoretical Physics. Students can join one of the active groups and take part in special projects.
The studies offer considerable flexibility and choice. You will be able to choose a path reflecting your intellectual tastes or career choices. You may prefer a broad theoretical education across subject areas or if you have already decided about your profile, you may follow a more selective path. With our diploma you will be entitled to apply to the PhD School at the Department of Physics and Astronomy and develop your scientific career under supervision of one of our faculty members.
We will assess your performance by one or several of the following means:
- written exams
- course work marked on a pass/fail basis
- take-home papers
The modes of assessment for a given course are decided by the course lecturer and will be published at the beginning of each academic year.
The course starts if the minimum number of three students enrolled for the first year.
We are international
At the Institute we used to have international students coming from variety of countries including: Germany, India, Italy, Iran, Morocco, Portugal, Spain, Ukraine, USA. Our scientific staff is essentially international: Polish, German, Armenian, Italian, Japanese, Ukrainian. We presently guest long term researchers from Iran and China.
Research in mathematical and theoretical physics, industry.
Structure of the course
Students are expected to have the basic skills in physics, mathematics and programming obtained during the bachelor courses. The two-years' program students do not choose defined specializations at the beginning of the studies. After broad formation during compulsory: Course I and II and Core Courses (compulsory two lectures chosen from wider set) they have opportunity to follow their individual interests by choosing among wide range of the optional courses. During the second semester students are supposed to have chosen a master thesis advisor. At this stage, the role of the advisor is to help student to choose appropriate set of lectures.
By completing this program, you will:
- gain broad understanding of physics across the core areas studied in the Master in Theoretical Physics program;
- develop your knowledge in selected areas of physics, close to the edges of current research;
- develop techniques and knowledge of literature associated with your project area;
- become familiar with the methods of research and enquiry used to advance your knowledge;
- achieve new level of self-direction and originality in tackling and solving research problems, and gain a skill in the planning and execution of an autonomous research.
- Bachelor or Master degree certificate
- Transcript of grades/supplement from bachelor or master studies
- Certificate confirming English Language knowledge on B2 level
- Passport photocopy
- Digital passport size photo
University of Wroclaw
Plac Uniwersytecki 1
phone: +48 71 375 28 77
- Bachelor of Business and Administration
- Bachelor, Biotechnology
- Bachelor, Chemistry
- Bachelor, Criminal Justice
- Bachelor, European Cultures
- Bachelor, International Relations - Global Studies
- Bachelor, Political Science
- Master, Administration in International Organizations
- Master, Applied Geoscience
- Master, Chemistry
- Master, Communication Management - Image Communication
- Master, Data Science
- Master, Empirical and Theoretical Linguistics ETHEL
- Master, EU Politics
- Master, European Studies
- Master, Global Communication
- Master, International Relations - Global Studies
- Master, Journalism and Social Communication
- Master, LLM International and European Law
- Master, Medical Biotechnology
- Master, Political Science
- Master, Public History
- Master, Sociology - Intercultural Mediation
- Master, Theoretical Physics
- Master, Tourism and Hospitality
- NME: Master, Managerial Economics
- PhD Programme in Philosophy
- PhD, Political Science
- PhD, Sociology