Wrocław University of Environmental and Life Sciences
Uniwersytet Przyrodniczy we Wrocławiu
The Wrocław University of Environmental and Life Sciences (UPWr) is a public university focused on education and research in veterinary medicine, food science, natural and agricultural sciences, engineering, and technology. Much emphasis is put on environmentally sustainable development as well as human and animal welfare. The mission of the University is to provide top quality education corresponding to current labour market demands. UPWr is currently ranked among the best universities in the world in food science and technology (143 place) and in veterinary medicine (228 place). On a national level, it is currently listed as the best agricultural university in Poland in the most influential Polish higher education ranking, also boasting the first place in food technology and second place in veterinary medicine. It is also part of the EU GREEN European Universities Network for Sustainable Growth, Inclusive Education and the Environment.
Undergraduate and postgraduate study programmes are offered in 25 fields by 5 faculties:
· Faculty of Biology and Animal Science
· Faculty of Biotechnology and Food Science
· Faculty of Environmental Engineering and Geodesy
· Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
· Faculty of Life Sciences and Technology
The UPWr Doctoral School provides training in seven disciplines divided between three fields:
· Natural Sciences: Biological Sciences;
· Agricultural Science: Agriculture and horticulture, Nutrition and food technology, Veterinary Science, Animal Science and Fisheries;
· Engineering and Technology: Civil Engineering and Transport, Environmental Engineering, Mining and Energy.
The University participates in international educational programmes, such as Erasmus+, CEEPUS, Fulbright and DAAD. Thanks to this activity it is possible for the University students and academic teachers to travel and study or conduct research abroad. The Interdisciplinary International Doctoral School through its PhD programmes educates young scientists preparing them to work in research units and industries all over the world. Within the last years, the University has educated many international students coming from all over the world, e. g. Norway, the UK, India, China, the USA, Germany, Ukraine, and many more. Moreover, as a result of cooperation with a partner from Spain, University Miguel Hernandez of Elche, a new double diploma master’s degree programme has been established. Its students have an opportunity to gain theoretical and practical knowledge both in Poland and Spain. Domestically, the university cooperates with the Wrocław University of Science and Technology, which resulted in a double diploma bachelor’s degree offered by both universities.
UPWr has been featured in the international Shanghai Ranking among the best universities in veterinary sciences and in food science and technology. Veterinary medicine can boast a positive assessment of the European Association of Faculties of Veterinary Medicine (EAEVE) and has been awarded the Certificate of Excellence in Education, which confirms the highest quality of education at the faculty. Significant scientific achievements have placed UPWr among the top 20 universities in Poland, which will result in increased subsidy for the development of its research potential within the programme ‘Initiative of Excellence – Research University’ in the coming years.
The University has 4 off-campus research and educational facilities for scientific research, fieldwork and student training. UPWr owns 5 dormitories that offer accommodation at affordable prices. Students with a real passion for research have a choice of 49 science clubs. Artistic and sports interests may be developed in student artistic groups (e.g. university choir, dance group) or in 17 sports sections.
Facts & figures
- Established in 1951
- 2 campuses
- 740 academic staff
- 280 professors
- more than 8.000 students
- 5 faculties
- 25 fields of study in Polish and English
- International Doctoral School (PhD programmes)
- 5 dormitories
- Double diploma bachelor’s degree in Bioeconomy
- Double Master’s Degree in Food Technology
- PhD in Agriculture and Horticulture
- PhD in Animal Science and Fisheries
- PhD in Biological Sciences
- PhD in Civil Engineering and Transport
- PhD in Environmental Engineering, Mining and Energy
- PhD in Geodesy, Remote Sensing and Geoinformatics
- PhD in Nutrition and Food Technology
- PhD in Social and economic geography and spatial management
- PhD in Veterinary Science
- Uniform Master Veterinary Medicine studies in the English language