MSc in Biotechnology, specialisations: Plant Biotechnology, Environmental Biotechnology
Area of Studies
Degree (in English)
Master of Science
2 years (4 semesters)
Faculty of Biology and Environmental Protection
Tuition and Other Fees
EU/EFTA citizens applying on a regular basis – no tuition fee, 85 PLN – application fee;
Non-EU/EFTA citizens: 3 900 EUR per year + 100 EUR – application fee.
Course ProfileThe Master’s degree programme in Biotechnology equips students with specialist knowledge of various aspects of biotechnology. Students get to know the molecular basis of biological processes, as well as receive advanced knowledge on disciplines such as bioinformatics, bioethics, plant and microbial biotechnology.
The programme focuses also on the use of different experimental techniques in various types of laboratories, which makes our students stand out in the biotechnology industry. Additionally, in the frame of the programme the students participate in lectures provided by guest researchers in the framework of the Lifelong Learning Programme-LLP/Erasmus.
Most graduates are expected to start laboratory-based careers in institutions connected with the food and pharmaceutical industry, health care, environmental protection, plant breeding, pest control or similar branches of science and economy. The Master’s degree programme also prepares graduates to continue on to post-graduate studies, e.g. PhD, in the same or similar field of study.
Education RequirementsA minimal number of 10 candidates are accepted to the programme.
A candidate is expected to present the knowledge, qualifications and skills acquired while obtaining a Bachelor's or Master’s degree, or equivalent Master’s degree studies related to natural sciences. Specifically, a candidate should:
• be familiar with basic concepts and terminology related to natural sciences
• define and interpret basic natural phenomena and their processes
• be able to apply the basic techniques and research used in natural sciences
• present the knowledge in maths, physics and chemistry necessary to understand basic natural phenomena and their processes
Verification of candidates is based on a supplement to their diploma or a transcript of records. The verified candidates are classified according to the average mark of their studies. If two or more candidates have the same average mark, then the following criteria will be taken into consideration: the mark for diploma dissertation and the mark for the final exam, respectively. Based on these criteria the ranking list is created to fill the limit of places.
Other RequirementsCandidate for study is obliged to submit an appropriate medical certificate confirming the lack of counter indications to studying this field of study.
International Students Admissions Office,
Bankowa 12 St.
40-007 Katowice, Poland
phone: +48 32 359 21 83
- BEng in Materials Science and Engineering
- MA in English Studies, specialisation: American and Canadian Studies for Intercultural Relations and Diplomacy
- MA in Pedagogy, specialisation: Resocialization with Intercultural Education
- MSc in Biotechnology, specialisations: Plant Biotechnology, Environmental Biotechnology
- MSc in Computer Science
- MSc in Materials Science and Engineering
- MSc in Physics, specialisation: Theoretical Physics
- MSc in Physics: Nanophysics and Mesoscopic Materials, Modelling and Applications